This dessert, inspired by a Rouxbe.com recipe, is so amazing you won’t even notice that there’s no cholesterol! What you will get are plenty of antioxidants (vitamin C, vitamin E, manganese, and copper), vitamin K, B vitamins (thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, B6, folate, and pantothenic acid), and minerals (magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, and zinc), plus fiber and whole-food sugar and whole-food fat, meaning the nutrients and fiber are still there.
- 1 ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 very ripe avocados, seed removed and flesh scooped out of skin
- ¾ cup date paste*
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup non-dairy milk (more if needed for a creamy consistency)
- Fresh berries
- Gather and prepare all ingredients.
- Place all ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Spoon into cups or bowls and top with fresh berries.
*To make your own delicious date paste, tightly pack 16 ounces of either Medjool dates or standard pitted dates into a mason jar and fill to the very top with water (~3/4 cup). Cover and let the dates soak overnight, or at least 12 hours (if you’re in a hurry, loosely cover the jar and soften the dates in the microwave oven for 2 minutes). When the dates have softened, transfer to a food processor and add a splash of vanilla extract and a pinch of sea salt, then run the processor on high speed for 5-8 minutes to get a smooth and creamy paste.