- Green vegetables. Vegetables such as spinach, kale, Swiss chard, broccoli, bok choy, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts are rich in folate, which may lower homocysteine levels in blood. Homocysteine corrodes artery walls, which makes them sticky and causes plaque to grow, reducing blood flow. So lower homocysteine levels keeps blood flowing to key areas. Green vegetables are rich in calcium, which can make orgasms more powerful.
- Chile peppers. Capsaicin, the compound that gives chile peppers their heat, increases metabolic activity, giving more energy and stamina. Capsaicin revs up calorie-burning capacity, creates a tingling sensation, and heightens skin sensitivity. Try a kiss after eating a jalapeno to experience the tingling on your mouth.
- Fruit. Fruits such as grapefruit, oranges, and peaches are high in vitamin C, a potential libido booster that improves sperm count and motility. Watermelon is rich in lycopene, beta carotene, and citrulline, all good-for-your-heart and good-for-sex phytonutrients. Citrulline relaxes blood vessels by getting converted to arginine, an amino acid that boosts nitric oxide production. Nitric oxide, the strongest vasodilator, opens blood vessels, and increases blood flow, having a similar effect to Viagra to treat and even prevent erectile dysfunction. And no prescription is required. Dark grapes have antioxidant polyphenols that protect the cardiovascular system and keep skin flexible and elastic, making you feel stronger and sexier. Bananas are rich in potassium, which regulates blood pressure and heart contractions, helping you when your heart races. Berries, also high in vitamin C, contain compounds thought to relax blood vessels and improve circulation (a natural Viagra-like effect). Berries are good for heart health because they push excess cholesterol through the digestive tract, preventing cholesterol from being absorbed and sticking to artery walls. And blueberries keep the brain, considered the largest sex organ, in top shape.
- Whole grains. Oatmeal boosts testosterone in the bloodstream and plays a significant role in sex drive and orgasm intensity in men and women. Oats contain L-arginine, which helps endothelial cells produce more nitric oxide, reducing blood vessel stiffness and enhancing blood flow to maintain an erection. Whole grains are slow-burning complex carbohydrates that keep you feeling fuller longer and provide you with excellent energy and stamina for activity between the sheets. Vitamins B6 & B5 in whole grains help balance hormone levels and ease stress, and are important for a healthy libido.
- Beans. The protein in beans help build muscle, which improves calorie-burning efficiency. Studies show that bean eaters are leaner and healthier than those who don’t eat beans. Fiber in beans lowers cholesterol and keeps your heart healthier. Antioxidants in beans help keep you looking and feeling younger.
- Nuts and Seeds. Nuts and seeds contain monounsaturated fats that are used by your body to produce cholesterol, which is needed by sex hormones to work properly. Zinc found in nuts and seeds curbs production of prolactin, a hormone that at high levels can cause sexual dysfunction. Pistachios are rich in plant sterols that reduce cholesterol. Antioxidants (carotenoids and tocopherols (vitamin E)) and arginine are involved in nitric oxide production, which relaxes arterial smooth muscle and opens up blood flow to maintain an erection. Sunflower seeds have the highest natural vitamin E content of any food. Vitamin E is the most effective antioxidant for fighting aging effects of free radicals according to Barry Swanson, PhD, Professor of Food Science at Washington State University.
- Unsweetened tea. Catechin is an antioxidant that promotes blood flow and enhances memory, mood, and focus. Epigallocatechin gallate (ECGC), a powerful antioxidant prevalent in green tea, may increase fat burn and help you lose weight. Make sure your tea is freshly brewed and not bottled (hot or cold).
- Red wine. In addition to getting you into the mood, red wine has antioxidants that may trigger production of nitric oxide and dilate blood vessels, increasing blood flow to the genitals. Limit yourself to a glass or two so that you’re not too tired to perform.
- Dark chocolate. Phenylethylamine is an organic compound in dark chocolate that releases the same endorphins triggered by sex and increases feelings of attraction between two people. Dark chocolate is also rich in antioxidants, which help increase blood flow and jump start libido. Plus, eating chocolate has unique sensual aspect. A BBC study found higher pulse rates and brain activity similar to that during passionate kissing in participants that let chocolate melt on their tongues.