Here are 10 great reasons YOU should drink plenty of water every single day!
1. Water is a nutrient that your body requires and water is not produced by your body. You must drink enough water to replace the continuous loss of fluid from your body, which occur from peeing, pooping, breathing, and perspiration.
2. Dehydration happens when you don’t replace all the water your body loses, which prevents your body from carrying out normal functions. Fluid losses are more pronounced during strenuous exercise, in warmer climates, at high altitudes, and in elderly adults.
3. Water helps optimize all your body’s biological processes, including creation of saliva, digestion, absorption, transportation of nutrients, circulation, and maintenance of body temperature.
4. Water helps keep your metabolism working efficiently, and by boosting your metabolic rate, water helps you burn more calories.
5. Water is purifying and cleansing. Water detoxifies your body by removing cellular waste and flushes out toxins by maintaining proper kidney function and eliminating waste in your urine. Drinking plenty of water also helps prevent growing painful kidney stones!
6. Water can enhance weight loss because it fills you up and it has zero calories! Drinking a big glass of water right before a meal helps you consume fewer calories.
7. Water helps energize your muscles, and your muscles perform better with enough fluids. Lack of fluids cause muscle fatigue.
8. Water helps keep your skin looking good. Your skin is full of water, and dehydration dries out and wrinkles your skin.
9. Drinking plenty of water reduces fluid retention by discouraging your body from holding onto any water that's already in your body. The more water you drink, the more you will pee.
10. Water prevents constipation and helps maintain normal bowel function to keep things moving throughout your gastrointestinal tract. When you don’t drink enough water, your body pulls water that it needs out of your stools, which dries them out and leaves you constipated.
How much water do you need? According to the Mayo Clinic, if you’re a woman, you need a total of 9 8-ounce glasses daily and if you’re a man, you need a total of 13 8-ounce glasses daily. Keep in mind that if you’re eating healthy, whole plant-based foods (lots of fruits and veggies), you will get about a quarter to a third of that in the foods that you eat. So first thing when you wake up in the morning, as soon as you get out of bed, drink your first 8-ounce glass of water! Then keep on drinking it throughout the day!
How has water had done your body good?