- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup silken tofu
- ¼ cup ice water
- ½ onion, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- ½ 12- or 14-ounce block of tofu, firm
- ¾ cup water
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 large red pepper, roasted at 350 °F for 1 hour, then cooled
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked 4 hours or overnight, rinsed, and drained
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350 °F
- Place the rolled oats into a mini processor or blender and process to break down the oats into a coarse powder.
- Combine the oats, almond flour, and salt, and mix with a fork.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the silken tofu and water until a smooth, thick liquid is formed.
- Pour the tofu mixture into the flour mixture and mix with a fork.
- Press into a 9-inch pie pan and set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Oil-free sauté: add diced onion, stirring frequently, until translucent and beginning to turn brown, about 5 minutes. Add water as needed to prevent sticking, about a tablespoon at a time.
- Add mushrooms and continue stirring until the mushrooms soften and give off all their liquid. Continue to add small amounts of water as needed to prevent sticking.
- Add the garlic and stir until the aroma is released, about 30 seconds.
- Add the spinach and stir until wilted (add a small amount of water if needed to prevent sticking).
- Make sure any remaining water from sautéing has evaporated and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Peel the roasted red bell pepper and remove the stem and seeds. Reserve any juice.
- Prepare the “cheeze” filling by placing the firm tofu, water, lime juice, roasted red bell pepper and juice, cashews, onion powder, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, and salt into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the “cheeze” filling over the mushroom-spinach mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour the “cheezy” mushroom-spinach mixture into the prepared pie crust and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out dry, 45-60 minutes.
- Slice into wedges and serve
Makes 6-8 servings.