This simple recipe reminds me of my Mother's creamed spinach, only without all the artery-clogging cream and cheese. The light coconut milk gives it a very slightly sweet taste. This is excellent served on its own or over brown rice!
- Oil spray
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Water (as needed to prevent onion from sticking or burning)
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 5 C (9 oz) fresh greens (use spinach, kale, chard, collard greens, or any combination of greens)
- 1 Tbs whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbs nutritional yeast
- 1 14 oz. can light coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- Spray a light coat of oil on a no-stick skillet and sauté the onion over medium heat until brown (add water to barely cover the bottom of the skillet as needed to prevent sticking or burning).
- Add minced garlic, and stir in with the onions.
- Add fresh greens and stir until wilted.
- Stir in flour and nutritional yeast.
- Add the coconut milk and stir until well blended.
- Bring to a boil and continue stirring until thickened.
- Add salt to taste.