- 1 cup grits (regular, not instant)
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 lime, juiced (~1 tablespoon)
- 1 large red bell pepper, roasted and peeled
- ½ cup raw cashews*
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup green chiles, roasted, peeled, and diced (or canned and diced)
- Combine 1 teaspoon of salt and 4 cups of water in a large sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the grits, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 40 minutes (alternatively you can place the grits and water into a rice maker and cook it on the “Brown Rice” setting).
- Meanwhile, place the remaining 1 cup of water, lime juice, red bell pepper, cashews, onion powder, nutritional yeast, and ½ teaspoon of sea salt into a Vitamix or other high-speed blender and secure the lid.
- Blend on the lowest speed and slowly increase the speed to the highest setting.
- Blend until heavy steam escapes, about 4 minutes.
- When the grits are cooked, add the “cheeze” sauce and green chiles into the sauce pan with the grits and stir until well combined.
- Serve over a bed of spinach or collard greens.
Makes 6 - 12 servings.
*If you do not have a high-speed blender, soak the cashews for 3-4 hours or overnight before blending in a conventional blender.