- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup or so hummus or tahini (any vegan mayo works too)**
- 1 – 2 tablespoons mustard (stoneground or dijon)
- Sea salt & cracked pepper, to taste
- Dash of garlic powder
- Juice of 1 lemon, optional
- Small handful pepitos, optional
- Paprika/smoked paprika, garnish
- Two slices of your favorite whole grain bread
- Leafy greens
- Avocado, mashed (optional)
Preparation of Chickpea Salad and Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Place chickpeas in medium size bowl and roughly mash with a fork, potato masher or pastry blender.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the bread, leafy greens, and avocado, and combine.
- Add more hummus if you like it creamier and taste for seasoning.
- Layer the bottom slice of bread with leafy greens.
- Add chickpea salad.
- Spread mashed avocado on the top slice of bread and place it over the chickpea salad.
*Source: The Abolitionist Vegan Society
**If you find your hummus is a bit thick, thin it out with a tablespoon or two of water. This will make for a perfect consistency to use as a binder without being overly thick and/or drying as well.