prep time: 30 min
cook time: 1 hr 10 min
total time: 1 hr 40 min
- 1 butternut squash, halved and seeded (you can substitute pre-packaged cubed butternut squash)
- 2 large onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium head garlic
- 1/2” piece fresh ginger
- 6 cups vegetable broth (add according to squash water content)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
- 3 Tbs curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 14-oz can coconut milk (you can substitute "light" coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Place squash halves (or pre-packaged cubes) and onion onto the prepared baking sheet. Wrap garlic in foil and set with other vegetables.
- Roast in the center of the oven for 45 to 60 minutes, until the squash is tender. Remove from oven and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Squeeze garlic cloves out of their skin like paste into a food processor. Scrape the flesh from the squash and place into the food processor along with the roasted onion. Puree until smooth. Add vegetable broth if necessary. Transfer the pureed mixture to a stockpot and stir in vegetable broth. Season with the bay leaf, brown sugar, curry powder, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and serve hot. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.