- 1 block firm or extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, finely diced (optional)
- 6 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- Water or vegetable broth as needed
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
Press the liquid out of the tofu
- Open, remove, and drain the tofu.
- Tear off about 6 squares of paper towels.
- Fold 3 of the paper towels in half and place on a flat surface such as a cutting board.
- Place the drained tofu on top of the 3 folded paper towels.
- Fold the remaining 3 paper towels in half and place on top of the tofu.
- Place another cutting board on top of the paper towels.
- Press or place a weight on top of the stack of cutting boards, paper towels, and tofu. Continue until the liquid from the tofu is absorbed by the paper towels (you may need to replace the paper towels).
OR ALTERNATIVELY (this requires starting 1-2 days in advance):
- Freeze and thaw the UNOPENED block of tofu.
- Open, remove, and drain the tofu. The texture will somewhat resemble a sponge
- Gently wring the tofu to remove any liquid.
Prepare the scramble
- Heat a 12” stainless steel or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat
- Crumble the tofu into a mixing bowl.
- Add tamari (or soy sauce) to the crumbled tofu and mix well. Set aside.
- Dry-sauté the onions (no oil) by placing them into the hot skillet, stirring frequently until softened and translucent, about 2-3 minutes. If the onions begin to stick, add only about a tablespoon of water and continue to stir (avoid adding too much water so the onions don’t steam or boil).
- Add red bell peppers, mushrooms, and jalapeno or serrano peppers (if using) and continue to stir for another 2-3 minutes. Add another tablespoon of water if needed.
- Add garlic and continue to stir for another 30 seconds, or until the garlic releases its aroma.
- Stir in the curry powder.
- Add the crumbled tofu and continue stirring until the mixture is well mixed and heated through, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chopped spinach and stir until wilted.
- Season the scramble with salt and pepper and serve.