While this is one of my favorite weekend breakfasts, it's not just for breakfast. Served over a tortilla with brown rice or roasted potatoes and topped with diced tomatoes, avocado slices, and your favorite salsa, this makes a very flavorful and filling lunch or dinner.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil or olive oil (optional)
- 1 package of soy chorizo, ~12 ounces (available in most markets; I like the one from Trader Joe's)
- 1 package tofu, 10-14 ounces, cut into 1/4 - 1/2 inch cubes (silken or soft for a creamier texture; firm for a more chewy texture)
- Corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 tomato, diced
- Your favorite salsa
- Add 2 teaspoons of water or oil to a large skillet heated over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and stir until softened and beginning to brown, about 3-5 minutes, adding small amounts of water as needed to prevent sticking.
- Add red bell pepper and jalapeno pepper; continue stirring until the peppers begin to soften, about 2-3 minutes, continuing to add small amounts of water as needed to prevent sticking.
- Remove chorizo from the plastic casing, add to the skillet, and stir until crumbly.
- Stir in the tofu cubes and continue to stir until well mixed and warmed through, about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve immediately over the warm tortillas topped with avocado slices, tomato, and salsa.